Monday, May 12, 2008

Age of Conan: I'll pass, thanks.

I have spent a good deal of time with the AoC beta and at this point, I will have to give it a pass. I am not even concerned about the bugs (I expected those in beta) or the lackluster quests. What disappointed me was that the combat really wasn't different enough or more fun than any other MMO. I was hoping for a visceral, dynamic combat system and this ain't it. What it boils down to is instead of your character auto attacking and you deciding when he uses special abilities, you now have to make every swing AND decide when to use special abilities (they call them combos). I never got the feeling of being in a Conanesque combat.

While I am on the subject, why is it that combat is like this in video games? Why can't we have combat where there are more blocks and parries instead of hits and it comes down to being able to out think and maneuver your opponent? A couple of real blows from the types of weapons used in these games would be enough to take down most things. It should be more about landing those blows than just striking over and over again. I would rather block and parry and get occasional hits in. It would also be nice to be able to use tumbling or an overpower move to gain an advantage. The bottom line is that Funcom has not reinvented the combat system here. They just changed it slightly.

2 comments:

Bartlebe said...

It is like you're reading my mind. I totally agree with this.

At first I was quiet excited about AoC but after a point, I began to feel like it lacked a certain tactical depth and strategy that I was looking for. It seemed like it was going to degenerate into a frantic click fest where the twitchy person was king.

Oh well.

Nice blog by the way. We share MANY of the same views. Maybe you're my doppleganger.

Flying Norseman said...

Ha! Maybe so. I was thinking about checking out the 360 version of AoC when that comes out. I am hoping that it will have more of the feel we were looking for. Then again they just announced that PC and 360 players will be able to play on the same server so we will have to see.

Thanks for the kind words.