Monday, May 5, 2008

AoC Beta Impressions


I promised some AoC beta impressions so here are some quick thoughts. Keep in mind, I haven't had a great deal of time to play it because I have been putting together Man Room 2.0 so these are impressions from limited play time.

  • The graphics are excellent. They have captured the Conan world beautifully. The only other MMO with graphics this good is LOTRO.
  • The new combat system will take some getting used to. There is no auto attack so every attack and block you do is something you initiate by pressing a button. The only problem is I have no clue how I am supposed to go about it effectively.
  • It's an adult world, which is a nice change of pace from the cartoony games like World of Warcraft. You rescue a scantily clad chick who is chained up within five minutes of starting the game.
  • There is a night time vs a daytime play structure. During the day you do normal quests like any MMO and at night you do instanced quests in the city of Tortage with animated cut scenes which are nicely done.
  • The game client needs a lot of work. It is very buggy and the frame rate can be all over the place at times. Upon loading an instance it isn't uncommon for your frame rate to drop below 10 FPS for 30 seconds
  • The interface can't be scaled in any way. You are stuck with big blocky quickbars which can be annoying and I can't figure out how to turn off or slow down the mouse over info so it doesn't block my view of combat when I am hovering over an ability.
  • I have not grouped with anyone yet. I am having a hard enough time figuring out what to do in single combat in order to be the most effective. I don't need to worry about other people.
  • Over all, I my impression is that the game has a lot of potential. It still needs a good deal of work before the May 20th release date though. I hope the version I am playing is much older than the one the devs are tweaking right now.

No comments: